I'm seeking an intern to join my bookbinding studio. I'm passionate about teaching, as well as binding books, and I'd like share my skills with a young artist who wants to bind books by hand and learn what it takes to run a creative business.
The ideal candidate would be a current college student majoring in an art-related field, or a student in marketing or communications with an interest in fine craft. I'm looking for someone with exceptional craftsmanship, a fine attention to detail, excellent written communication skills, and someone who loves dogs! (I have a large — but very friendly — brindle bullmastiff named Porter.)
The internship will be based out of my home studio in Nashville, Tennessee, and the dates of the internship are flexible in terms of length, start and end dates, and daily schedule.
The linenlaid&felt internship can be tailored to your interests and skills. Some of the tasks that might be involved are:
• Assist with bookbinding and paper marbling projects
• Measuring and cutting paper, leather, bookboard and other materials
• Prepping materials for bookbinding classes and workshops
• Brainstorming ideas for new products and assisting with prototypes
• Helping out at art shows and craft fair
• Writing blog posts and press releases
• Creating and sending e-mail marketing campaigns
• Updating social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest)
• Assisting with product photo shoots
• Packaging and shipping orders
• Listing new products in Etsy shop
• Ordering supplies
• Delivering local orders
Although this is an unpaid internship, it is structured as a work-study environment and it comes with a slew of benefits:
PRIVATE BOOKBINDING LESSONS
• For every 30 hours worked, I'll provide a one-on-one bookbinding lesson (approximately 6 hours in length) on the topic(s) of your choice.
BOOKBINDING MATERIALS AND TOOLS
• You'll have access to professional bookbinding tools and equipment.
• I'll provide materials (decorative paper, leather, bookboard, thread, etc.) for you to use in personal projects.
• The opportunity to work with a professional bookbinder with a decade of experience and a passion for teaching.
• Bookbinding skills, as well as business and marketing experience.
• An inside glimpse into what it takes to be a full-time artist.
If you're ready to apply, you can submit your application here. And if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.